Best Hiking Watch Under 100 Dollars: List of Trendy Choices
If you decided to buy the best hiking watch for under 100$, you might be amazed by the versatile offers the market contains. Unfortunately, not all of them are of high quality, and this is why you need this article. Choosing the top product from the pile of something that looks like a watch, shines like a watch, but can fall apart in the minute you buy it, is an art. I want to help you master this skill. My list contains only the gear I have tried myself or received trustful recommendations from my close family and friends. I know their benefits and flaws, and I am going to share them with you. Cheap does not mean bad. Every model on this list is durable and trustworthy.
It is extremely important to take reliable products in your hiking adventures. It does not matter whether it is a simple and a few hours trail or a super complex several days trip. A hiking watch must always be close to you. Whether you are going to buy a Casio Twin Sensor watch or any other item from the list, you have to be comfortable with its features and be able to use all the benefits.
Top 9 Best Hiking Watch Under 100
- Top 9 Best Hiking Watch Under 100
- 1. Casio Twin Sensor – Best Outdoor Watches Under 100 from Stainless Steel
- 2. Casio G-Shock – Good Hiking Watch for Ladies
- 3. Timex Ironman – Women’s Hiking Watch with Resin Strap
- 4. DoSmarter Fitness – Trekking Watches for Sports and Hiking
- 5. BlueStraw Survival – Digital Hiking Watch with Compass
- 6. Timex Expedition – Stylish Watch for Hiking
- 7. LAD Weather Outdoor – Digital Men’s Hiking Watches
- 8. Timex Expedition Shock – Best Watches Under 100 Dollars with Chronograph
- 9. North Edge Apache – Multifunctional Top Watches Under 100
- Most Asked Questions About Hiking Watch
- Making the Right Choice
Forget about an expensive watch with a limited amount of features. If you plan your hiking trip, you have to search for the gear among the prime hiking watch reviews. Hiking watches usually contain versatile useful services for your trip, including a compass, barometers, pulse meters, altimeters. They reveal the information you need about your surroundings. Check out this top 9 list.
1. Casio Twin Sensor – Best Outdoor Watches Under 100 from Stainless Steel
Casio Twin Sensor is a stylish watch from the legendary developer. Casio is a brand that is recognizable around the world. This Japanese company has been developing electronic devices of high quality since 1946. Their name represents reliability, and I believe they are still No 1 on the market. The material of the band is plastic, and the case is made of 45 mm stainless steel. They will not fall apart so easily and will serve you for years.
- Materials: rubber band, mineral glass, stainless steel, high-quality plastic;
- Shape: round;
- Color: black and blue;
- Weight: 1.92 ounces;
- Main features: a compass, stopwatch, countdown, backlight, temperature, water resistance.
My favorite feature is the water resistance up to 200M, which I believe is a necessity for every hiking watch. Their shape is a classic round with the five alarms, compass, international time, thermometer, stopwatch, backlight, and countdown. The dial window is made of a strong mineral that protects the item from scratches during hiking. The display is digital with quartz movement. The band is made of durable resin.
You can hike in this watch through the Appalachians or swim in the lake. I believe this is a male model, but you may consider it unisex, as long as it fits your demands. Everyone will appreciate a sensor of direction, a big digital clock, and a backlight that may be a lifesaver in the dark. Basically, it fits well both professional hikers and amateurs who have recently joined the “team”.
- Prime quality materials;
- Protected from scratches;
- Compass and temperature sensor;
- Legendary brand.
- The glass may be reflective under the direct sun, and you have to turn on the light to see small numbers.
2. Casio G-Shock – Good Hiking Watch for Ladies
Casio created their first watch in 1974. Before that, they had already been famous for electronics. They were one of the first companies who combined digital technologies with the wristwatch area. Nowadays, we can choose versatile models that the company offers. G-Shock is one of them. The model is famous apart from Casio, so many of you simply don’t know its legendary developer from Japan. It is a part of the so-called ladies’ series. Although there is a word “ladies” in it, I strongly believe that this round-shape, massive, black watch with few pale golden stripes on it can be called unisex. The watch is perfect not only for hiking but for fitness as well.
- Materials: plastic, resin case and strap, and mineral glass that is resistant to water;
- Weight: 2.4 ounces;
- Shape: round;
- Color: black with golden stripes;
- Extra features: LED light, linked to mobile, steps calculator, dual time display, phone finder.
You can use it during your daily fitness routine and while hiking. The 45.3mm resin case with a durable resin strap handles extra activities. You have to connect it to your phone via Bluetooth to receive information about your current state. There is a 3-axis accelerometer, interval timer, counter of steps, extra memory. You can calculate the calories you are losing while hiking, count the time, and miles you have walked. There is a LED illuminator light installed in the watch, time adjustment, dual time display, and phone finder. To find your phone, you have to connect the watch to it previously through the app. It does not take much time, and in the end, you receive more functions.
- Stylish design;
- High-quality materials;
- LED lights;
- Competitive price.
- There is no compass installed.
3. Timex Ironman – Women’s Hiking Watch with Resin Strap
Timex is a US-based watch manufacturer. The company was founded in 1854. It existed under different names and in 2008 became Timex Group USA. The company produces watches for national and international markets. It is an official timekeeper of the NYC Marathon. This watch was created for the Ironman marathon and training related to it. You can find it in black and silver, blue and rose gold, gray and purple, pink and rose gold, purple and silver, teal and silver, or white and rose gold. The price does not depend on the color. The shape is classic round.
- Materials: resin, plastic, acrylic lens;
- Weight: 0.96 ounces;
- Shape: round;
- Colors: wide color palette;
- Extra features: highly durable resin strap, countdown, calendar, water-resistant.
A resin strap of 12 millimeters is adjustable and fits any wrists of up to 7.5 inches. There is a chronograph with 100 hours and 10 lap memory. Check out the built-in 24-hour countdown option, alarm, military time zone, month, date, and daily calendar. The case is resin with an acrylic lens. The display is pale gray. It is digital. There is a light-up dial for clear visibility. It is water-resistant up to 300 feet. It can be used during snorkeling and classic swimming but not diving. I also don’t recommend relying on its light, as it is barely enough to see the dial. The battery may work well for up to 10 years. I find this product incredibly useful for sports and active rest.
- Simple in use;
- High durability;
- 10 years of battery life;
- One of the lowest prices on the list.
- Does not offer all the features of a standard hiking watch.
4. DoSmarter Fitness – Trekking Watches for Sports and Hiking
DoSmarter manufactures fitness and health watches with numerous modes to support your activity during the day. The watches are connected with the app that provides you with stats about your health and sleep. The watch is compatible with other apps and offers the possibility to check your notifications and emails. DoSmarter specializes in digital watches. The company grants 30 days simple return policy and 12 months quality warranty. I believe this model is perfect for hiking as it checks your heartbeat, activity, and the pass you have walked.
- Materials: plastic, resin, water-resistant glass;
- Shape: round classic with extended display;
- Color: black. You can also choose the leather watchband of the brown color;
- Extra features: 10 sports modes, extended battery life up to 7 days, big screen with all activities revealed, compatibility with other numerous apps.
The watch is also waterproof, and you can easily swim with it. The blood pressure can be also measured and revealed on the screen. The app that is connected to the watch analyzes your sleep. There are 10 different sports modes. The battery stays strong for up to seven days. The charging process requires up to 4 hours. In the end, you receive a reliable tool to take with you to the mountains. There is a stopwatch, remote phone camera, alarm, and health reminders. The display is illuminated. However, the power of light is not enough to illuminate the dark road, so don’t rely on it. I like the 1.3 inches HD screen and 4 different clock faces.
- There are 10 sports modes;
- Compatibility with other apps;
- The battery has 7 days life without charging;
- It is water-resistant;
- 12-months warranty.
- Does not have bright LED light.
5. BlueStraw Survival – Digital Hiking Watch with Compass
The BlueStraw is a survival sports gear manufacturer that offers unique watches. They are the best helper possible for hikers who don’t want to get lost or stuck without food in any extreme conditions. It is considered to be military packed with 5-time patterns and 3 interchangeable bracelets. You may find numerous useful tools inside the watch and its bracelet once you really need them. The bracelet is unique as well, as it is made of 550 paracords. There is another bracelet of the same paracord that you can switch easily. Besides, the third bracelet is classic and made of waterproof silicone.
- Materials: plastic, paracord, water-proof, LED illuminated display;
- Shape: round;
- Color: black and red;
- Extra features: 98 ft waterproof, packed with survival gear, compass, LED light.
The display reveals a calendar, timezone, hourly chime, backlight, and LED display, so you are not likely to get lost in the darkness. It is resistant to water and shock-resistant. You can use it in your daily life. It looks stylish and feels comfortable on the wrist. Paracord bands are suitable for 7-9 inches wrists. The silicone band is adjustable. If you need to roll up the paracord band, apart from the reliable tope, you will find the fire starter, whistle, compass, thermometer, scraper, aluminum foil, fishing lines, floats, fishing hook, alcohol pad, and brooch. You can make traps or bind the wound. There is cotton inside one of the bands. I recommend taking both of them with you during the hiking trip.
- All the items you may need to survive;
- Compass and 2 time zones;
- Waterproof of 98 ft;
- LED light on display and backlight.
- You need to learn how to replace the band.
6. Timex Expedition – Stylish Watch for Hiking
Timex, an American famous manufacturer, offers high-quality and unique solutions for active people. This model is both stylish and multifunctional. I use these watches in my daily life and during any sports activities, and I am still satisfied with the results. The leather band adds extra class to the watch. It looks like something Indiana Jones would wear. You can pick a brown or dark brown band. The band is 22 millimeters, which fits the wrist of 8 inches and less. The numerals are Arabic; it is not a digital watch. There is also a date window.
- Materials: leather, mineral glass, and a metal case;
- Weight: 2.88 ounces;
- Shape: classic round;
- Color: light and dark brown options;
- Extra features: high durability, prolonged battery life, extra comfort, water resistance.
The brass case is 45 millimeters. It can be gray or pale beige. There is a mineral glass protected from scratches. The dial is lit up. It is water-resistant of up to 165 feet. I don’t recommend diving in it, but you can take a bath without taking it off or swimming for a short period of time. The band is comfortable mainly because of its soft and high-quality leather. You have to keep it dry to avoid skin irritation and to prolong the watch’s life. I also do not recommend relying on the light of this watch. You will see the display for sure, but you wouldn’t be able to use it as a flashlight. You don’t have to charge the battery as well, as it will serve you up to 10 years.
- Prolonged battery life;
- Stylish leather band;
- Indiglo backlight;
- Resistant to scratches and water;
- Affordable price.
- No digital display.
7. LAD Weather Outdoor – Digital Men’s Hiking Watches
LAD Weather is a brand that was created from the cooperation of Japan and the USA. This manufacturer is relatively young. It appeared in 2009. They create products for the outdoors, including watches and outfits. This model is packed with everything you may possibly need while staying outdoors and for hiking, including an altimeter, thermometer, and barometer. The compass that is installed in the item may save you from getting lost. Even though I described this watch as a men’s accessory, I believe it is universal. You may try different colors of the case to fit your outwear.
- Materials: plastic, stainless steel, polyurethane, acrylic glass;
- Weight: 2.01 ounces;
- Shape: round;
- Color: black with versatile cases;
- Extra features: weather forecast, barometer, altimeter, compass.
The band is made of high-quality polyurethane and is adjustable to any wrist. It can be washed easily and together with a plastic display. The case from stainless steel and an acrylic glass of this model is water-resistant. There is a thermometer, altimeter, compass, barometer, alarm, timer, stopwatch, and even weather forecast. You receive detailed reports on the weather conditions with the forecast without even watching TV. This knowledge is useful while hiking or camping if you have to decide whether to come back, wait for the sunny weather, or check whether it is safe to go to the mountains.
There are 4 icons with clouds, rain, sun, and a mix of cloud and sun. You can use its track mode if you need. There is a backlight with the pale light. I recommend you learn how to use all these features before going with this watch outdoors.
- Versatile weather measures;
- High-quality materials are resistant to water;
- Wide display;
- Adjustable and comfortable band.
- There is no LED light.
8. Timex Expedition Shock – Best Watches Under 100 Dollars with Chronograph
The American manufacturer of watches Timex is widely known around the world for its great quality and a wide line of models. They offer watches for daily use, as well as for sports and outdoor activities, like hiking and climbing. I believe this Expedition Grid Shock model may be male-oriented, but it can be turned easily into the universal. The band color is black, and the color of the dial is pale gray. The resin strap is 16mm wide, and it fits the wrist of 8 inches and less. The acrylic display is durable and protected from scratches. It is also water-resistant of up to 330ft. You can swim and even try snorkeling, but you should avoid diving.
- Materials: acrylic lens, resin band, stainless steel case;
- Weight: 2.72 ounces;
- Shape: square;
- Color: black and silver case;
- Extended features: water-resistant, chronograph, hydration reminder, Indiglo light.
There is a chronograph for 100 hours and a countdown timer for 24 hours. You can use a chronograph to track your achievements. It offers a loud alarm system that you can switch to vibration. There are 3 time zones for your comfort. It is shock-resistant and meets all the ISO standards. The watch has a 24-hour mode of military time. It sends you reminders from your calendar, which you can arrange up to your needs. You can change the date and day. There is a hydration timer that is useful in case you forget to drink. The watch dial is lightened up with Indiglo light. However, it does not offer bright illumination. You can see the display, though.
- 3 time zones;
- Numerous reminders you can adjust;
- Countdown timer;
- Durable materials.
- Massive band.
9. North Edge Apache – Multifunctional Top Watches Under 100
North Edge is a well-known manufacturer of watches from China. It was founded in 1999. The first watches were made for the army. They were made to protect soldiers in unpredictable weather situations or on faraway borders. While it was made for the military, this watch may be useful for hikers as well. The model is featured with an altimeter, compass, and barometer. It is waterproof and works in extreme weather conditions.
- Materials: nylon, plastic, acrylic display, stainless steel case;
- Shape: round with wideband;
- Color: black or green;
- Extra features: thermometer, altimeter, barometer, air pressure trend, alarm.
I personally appreciate the band made from nylon. Don’t worry about its durability, it is one of the long-livers I know. Besides, the nylon cord makes the watch weightless. You can choose whether you want the black or dark green color of the band.
You don’t need to charge the watch. However, there is no connection to the phone as it is a completely separate item. This is not a smartwatch. The model offers a thermometer, barometer, altimeter, altitude, and air pressure trend, which is extremely useful in the mountains. There is an EL backlight, not powerful enough to illuminate the territory around you but enough to see the display. You can use it as a tool for your sports activities, including running. You may use the countdown to improve your own results. There is an alarm inside the watch.
- Wide display with the backlight;
- Reliable compass;
- Affordable price.
- It is not a smart watch, and it does not connect to the phone.
Most Asked Questions About Hiking Watch
If you are still in doubt about which watches you need for hiking, this section is for you. I’ve gathered here the answers to the most common questions about the gear. If you have something to add to my answers, you are welcome to do it in the comments below.
How to choose a hiking watch?
Pay attention to the main features that the developer offers. Match them with your own demands and your daily activities. Don’t forget to compare prices. I’ve gathered top products for less than $100 each, so if you don’t want to overpay, you don’t have to. Make sure that all the materials are of high quality, and the manufacturer is reliable and well-known. Check out the warranty the company provides.
As for the durability of the watch, it is one of the crucial factors. Talking about the model that costs less than $100, many people are doubtful whether it is as reliable as a $500 alternative. I can assure you that I have checked out the reliability of all these models, and they are still good after several years of use.
What features should a hiking watch have?
The main features you can focus on:
- Water resistance and scratch resistance. You don’t want unreliable gadgets somewhere high in the mountains, covered in the freezing cold moisture or completely dead after you hit it with the rock;
- A compass is a must. This is the first thing you have to check out and learn how to use it if you don’t know-how. If you are lost, the compass will guide you through anywhere you are. Don’t wait for the perfect starry night even if you are good at searching the road by stars. You may use analogue watch as the compass, but better to have one built-in;
- Heartbeat monitor or blood pressure monitor;
- Light – it can be LED or Indiglo, powerful enough to illuminate the display;
- A reliable band and watch case;
- Affordable price;
- Extra features like a thermometer, altimeter, barometer, weather forecast, and phone tracker.
Is a hiking watch under 100 any good?
Hiking watches have to be more reliable and stuffed with more features than any ordinary watches. They may save your life and help you to not get lost. This is why many hikers prefer to pay more for the watches they take into the expeditions with them. I believe that reliability does not necessarily mean pricey. These watches are all superior and made by famous watch developers. They are trusted by millions of Americans who prefer to hike smart.
Do I need a hiking watch?
Not everyone needs a hiking watch for daily use. However, you can’t forget that a hiking watch offers the same features as a classic one plus more. You can always find out the air pressure or your current position towards the north by looking at your hiking watch. Besides, all the watches on the list are water-resistant, and you don’t have to worry whether you forget to take them away before the shower or not. I recommend wearing the device every day. And if you go hiking, this watch is a must. It is important to know where you are at the very moment and what to expect from the weather. It is vital in the mountains.
Can hiking watches be used offline?
Yes, almost all hiking watches can be used offline. The watches on my list can definitely be used online. Some of them are not even connected to the Internet. There are also watches that will not provide you with extra features like mail notifications or calendar updates if these are online services, but usually, you don’t need all these extra features while you are hiking.
Are all hiking watches waterproof?
Hiking watches must be waterproof, no matter whether you are at the Appalachian trail or in some desert. This is the first condition for such models. All the watches on my list are waterproof. However, not all of them are good for snorkeling. And I don’t recommend wearing any of them for diving. Moisture is something you have to face even if you are in the mountains far away from the water. A wet watch turns into something slippery and highly unpleasant to wear, especially when hiking high in the mountains, in the low temperatures. I have to remind you again that if you intend to dive, it is better to buy specific watches for it.
Making the Right Choice
If you don’t want to overpay for a reliable watch for hiking, you can use my list of the best 9 affordable models. All you need is to choose one or a few, in case you like several of them, and order them. Pay attention to the pros and cons I have mentioned on the list. There are certain features you have to consider before buying the item you like. Think about extra features you may need as well. I have included different services for versatile occasions and types of activities there.
If you have one of these watches, share your thoughts about them in the comments. Which features do you like the most?
Last update on 2022-09-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API