Best Trail Running Shoes for Men
Running is an activity that most people choose as part of maintaining their body fit. For me, it is an activity that has become a part of my routine. I cannot remember a single day I missed out on running. There are so many places you can go jogging. Some people prefer running around the city parks while others like me prefer going to the wild.
If you are among those runners that like to tackle the tough wild terrains, then you must have the right gear for this job. Trail running is so much fun when you own the right kit. The most important component of this kit is the kind of shoes you choose to wear. There are so many reasons why you need to have trail shoes when running on surfaces like rocks, mud, and snow-covered areas.
Among these reasons, the key one is the shoe’s ability to firmly grip these surfaces. Running on such terrains exposes you to the risk of sliding. This is the factor why you need shoes that can greatly minimize your chances of slipping and falling. These shoes should also protect you from getting injured by obstacles in your running path. Therefore, join me as I review a list of shoes that are best suited for running on such surfaces.
Top 5 Trail Running Shoes
- Top 5 Trail Running Shoes
- 1. ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe – Best Trail Running Shoes
- 2. Adidas Men's Lite Racer RBN Running Shoes – Best Lightweight Mens Trail Running Shoes
- 3. WHITIN Men's Minimalist Trail Runner – the Best Minimalist Trail Running Shoes
- 4. Salomon Men's Speedcross 4 Trail Running Shoe – Best Uphill and Downhill Trail Running Shoes
- 5. New Balance Men's 481V3 – Off-Road and On-Road Trail Running Shoes
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Getting Trail Running Shoes That Serve Your Needs Best
So far, I have established the importance of wearing trail shoes while engaging in off-road running. As a solution, this section provides you with a list of shoes that are best suited for such conditions.
1. ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe – Best Trail Running Shoes
Those who engage in trail running will tell you that the kit and shoes you wear have a great impact on your jogging efficiency. Therefore, before you settle on your running shoes, there are certain factors worth considering. There are brands that have taken such factors into consideration. Asics is one of these brands.
The Gel-Ventura model by Asics is one of the men running shoes that have been developed with these factors in mind. Top of the fears I have when selecting my running shoes is whether they will cause me to have bunions on my feet. However, with the Gel-Ventura model, this is an issue they have addressed. With a view of maintaining your feet safe while exercising, they have been fitted with a gel-padded midsole. The working theory behind this innovation is that the midsole decreases the force of impact your foot feels upon landing. Not only does it provide you with better protection, but it also ensures you get a better bounce back while trail running.
The upper mesh fabric is another feature aimed at offering your feet better protection while wearing these shoes. The fabric is made of light flexible synthetic material that serves several purposes. First is to ensure that the shoes are light enough to be used for an activity like running or exercising. On the other hand, the mesh is supposed to provide your legs with sufficient aeration by permitting enough air circulation. Moreover, a fortified front protects your toes from getting injured in case you hit something when running.
- The item is made with a water-resistant fabric to ensure that you can jog even in the rain
- It incorporates gel cushion technology that protects your leg from a huge impact caused by landing
- It has a better drop 10mm, which is more than the average rate of shoes that have incorporated the gel technology
- The outsole is made of AHAR rubber for better grip on various surfaces
- The shoes have been fitted with a sock liner that helps maintain your shoes free of moisture
- While running, you always feel there is more that can be improved in terms of its responsiveness
2. Adidas Men's Lite Racer RBN Running Shoes – Best Lightweight Mens Trail Running Shoes
In the sporting world, Adidas is a brand that does not require much of an introduction. This company has established a trademark that has come to be known all over the world. The manufacturing of quality products is the reason for their growing popularity.
Most of the other running shoes provide you with room to fit Ortholite liners that you have to buy separately. However, this model comes already fitted with Ortholite sock liners that give you that much-needed softness your feet require when running. The liners also minimize the possibility of your feet sweating to the extent that you cannot run effectively.
Another distinguishing feature of these shoes is their lightweight. The upper part is made of a light mesh with a textile lining. This attribute makes it a fashionable model. You can rock on a freestyle weekend and still use it for the purpose of trail running. On the other hand, these shoes feature the trademark Adidas Cloudfoam technology used in making their midsoles. It is the reason behind that comfortable feeling you experience while running in these shoes.
- The product has been fitted with OrthoLite sock liners that give your feet that soft feel.
- The upper part is made of a light mesh with a textile lining that makes the shoe light and better aerated
- The item has a midsole cushion made using the company’s Cloudfoam technology
- Not among the best waterproof trail running shoes, you may find on the market.
3. WHITIN Men's Minimalist Trail Runner – the Best Minimalist Trail Running Shoes
Minimalist shoes are a whole new category of shoes that you can use for trail running. Unlike your traditional athletic shoes, the minimalist design gives you the natural feeling of running on your barefoot. Therefore, the shoes are far lighter, closer to the ground, and have fewer cushions than other models.
Whitin is a brand that is setting the standards in the category of minimalist shoes that can be used for trail running. You will notice that the design of these shoes is made to mimic how your leg looks and feels when walking. One attribute that has made this possible is their inclusion of a broader toe box that creates more room for your leg. Therefore, there will be more space to spread your toes when trail running.
For joggers, this means that you can make a natural stride without straining your foot. Therefore, there is a decreased possibility of you suffering from any injuries when running. More room also means that your feet can naturally increase their surface area, which contributes to improved balance while running.
Another great attribute of these shoes is their zero-drop style. You will notice the presence of this feature by the high levels of flexibility this pair offers. Moreover, this feature helps to minimize the rate at which your muscles waste away while exercising. This is something you will greatly appreciate while trying to tackle tough terrain.
- The shoes have a broad toe box that allows you to spread your toes comfortably while exercising
- They have been made to mimic the shape of your leg for that natural feel
- The zero-drop style improves the flexibility of this item
- This model does not have many variations to choose from
4. Salomon Men's Speedcross 4 Trail Running Shoe – Best Uphill and Downhill Trail Running Shoes
The thing about this Salomon brand is that you can always count on them to surprise you with new amazing shoe designs. Every of their new series comes with a new improved feature that gives you the temptation to buy it. The story is no different with their release of the Speedcross model for trail running.
The most notable new feature of this pair is its aggressive outsole that comes with studs. In games like football, the studs help to increase the shoe’s grip on the playing surface. Therefore, the player will have better stability during a game. The same principle is applied here with the Salomon shoes for trail running. The studs have been made with a unique design that ensures you have a comfortable grip when moving downhill, uphill, or walking on a muddy surface. Moreover, the studs have been well spaced to ensure that the outer sole does not clog with mud or dirt.
Another improved feature of this model is its water-resistance. The upper part has a compactly woven mesh that increases its resistance to water. However, even with the compact nature of the mesh, Salomon Speedcross has not compromised its aeration attributes. The fabric still allows enough air to flow around your feet.
- The shoes have an aggressive outsole with studs for better grip and stability while trail running
- The model has a compact woven upper mesh that increases its water resistance and maintains your feet aerated
- The item has been fortified with scratch-resistant walls that help to protect your feet and ankles from injuries when running in areas with a rough terrain
- The price can prove to be a turn off to consumers
5. New Balance Men's 481V3 – Off-Road and On-Road Trail Running Shoes
New Balance is a brand that has built a great reputation in the making of sports attires and shoes. This is something I would consider a huge achievement. It may compete with established brands like Adidas and Nike. One area they seem to be gaining ground in is the manufacturing of shoes for trail running.
What I like about this model is the design intended purely for trail running. With this in mind, the brand has gone ahead and developed a pair that fulfills this purpose. In this respect, the shoes are very compact, which suggests more protection of your legs. You can run on rocky grounds or a trail with a lot of debris without worrying about getting hurt. Since it is not the item for a fashion show, the colors are also limited to black, with others having orange trims.
The solid compact design is extended to its outer sole. The product has been fitted with AT tread that makes it a good fit for both off-road and on-road running. In both of these situations, the sole will have an excellent grip on the surface. You will also appreciate the revolutionary soft cushioning that works as a shock absorber when running. It shields you from heavy impact when landing.
- These shoes have extra-soft cushioning that helps to protect you from injuries caused by heavy impact when landing
- The item is solid enough to prevent you from external injuries caused by elements that may be on your running path
- It has been fitted with AT tread that makes the shoes a good fit for both off-road and on-road running
- Although this pair is strictly intended for running, the manufacturer has failed to get the sizes right
There is so much more to be examined about shoes for trail running. The reviews focus on a specific shoe brand, which limits the general information you can learn about them. However, in this section, I will focus on the basics by answering selected questions about them.
What Are Trail Running Shoes?
The great thing about the world today is that there exists specialization in almost everything we use. This is why even in running, there are shoes to be used for on-road and off-road jogging. Trail shoes are built for off-road situations. You can expect them to offer you enough grip and stability required when tackling such terrains.
How Should Trail Running Shoes Fit?
The size of your trail shoe should be a major consideration when buying one. You want a model that will fit properly and the pair that you will feel comfortable in when wearing. How do you know the shoes fit properly? Look for the following aspects when buying your shoe:
- Universal wisdom dictates that any shoes used for exercising should be a little bigger than your casual shoe pair. The wiggle room is essential for facilitating better blood circulation during intense activities.
- There should be minimal or no slipping of the trail shoes at the heel.
- Make sure the item gives you enough grip for it not to come off when running.
How to Choose Trail Running Shoes?
The choice of a perfect trail shoe model can be a tricky one. There are so many aspects to think of when considering this decision. Here is a summary of the elements you should pay specific attention to when buying such shoes:
- Get a shoe that is a good fit for you.
- A lightweight pair is most preferable.
- Make sure the model has a quality cushion for more comfort and protection of your feet.
- Make sure the outsole has quality treads that guarantee better traction.
Getting Trail Running Shoes That Serve Your Needs Best
Are you feeling like in the mood for trail running? This is one of the most refreshing outdoor activities you could ever engage in. Why do I think so? Unlike jogging within the city, trail running is a marvelous opportunity to connect with nature. You get to take on the rough terrains that present you with all sorts of challenges. The only consolation for you is the beautiful sceneries and fresh air you get to breathe each day during the runs. Since I want you to keep looking forward to your next run, I have tried to provide you with ideas on how to make your adventure more fun.
I have given you a solution to help you conquer the challenging off-road terrains. This paper was all about making recommendations on shoes that will make the experience better for you. These are shoes made specifically for trail running. The reviews have demonstrated how the manufacturers have incorporated innovative technologies to increase their efficiency.
I am talking of features like aggressive outsoles either with studs or unique tread to increase your grip and stability in all terrains. Do not forget the application of gel cushion technology aimed at protecting your feet while exercising. So, which other features would you like to see the manufacturers incorporate in these shoes for trail running? Have you tried any other trail running shoes? What did you like or dislike about the item you used?
Last update on 2020-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API